Grandmother's Flower Garden
There will be 8 full flowers across the top and bottom when finished.
Progress as of March 2017
December 1, 2006: some of my flowers
September 4, 2006: I put together another flower (red).
April 3, 2006: Well, it has been quite a while since I worked on this quilt! Actually, I have worked on it occasionally - just not for very long and not frequently. So the TWO flowers I finally put together after finishing them up last night are the turquoise and orange ones above.
November 29, 2004: I attached a few more of the hexagons together, and I almost have a flower now.
August 2004: I found some "1930's white" fabric at the quilt show, so I bought a couple of yards - that will be the color I'll use to separate the flowers in my quilt.
May 19, 2004: the Quilt Patis came in the mail! Along with 3 little 8 x 8 squares of fabric and a reduction in shippping cost. I ordered from The Quilting Circle, and will definitely be ordering from them again. What a treat to receive some extra fabric pieces with my order. So, of course, I had to start playing with them.
I'm definitely going to be creating this quilt in the 1930's reproduction fabrics, of which I have a nice small collection of mostly fat quarters. The fabric used in the top left hexagon is one my mother gave me. I believe it may have been one from my grandmother's collection. I think it will fit in nicely, and add a really personal touch. Now I just have to find some solids to start making my flowers!
May 13, 2004, I decided to go ahead and invest in some Quilt Patis. These are little 1" hexagon (they also come in 1.5" and .5", I believe) templates. I originally saw them demonstrated on a Flower Garden episode of Simply Quilts. I've always loved the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts, and would like to make one myself one day. I know that this will be a long-term project, because it will all be (yes, even the piecing) done by hand. But it should be another project which would be very portable, at least during the piecing phase.